The University Grants Commission (UGC) is the apex body of the University System in Sri Lanka which was established on 22nd December 1978 under the Universities Act No. 16 of 1978. The functions of the UGC are
- Planning and coordination of university education
- Allocation of funds to Higher Educational Institutions (HEIs)
- Maintenance of academic standards in HEIs
- Regulation of the administration of HEIs
- Regulation of admission of students to HEIs
A vibrant mechanism of governance of quality assurance and accreditation of the academic and administrative function is essential to maintain and to enhance the standards of the Higher Education System. The Quality Assurance and Accreditation Council (QAAC) of the UGC established in September 2005 is the body responsible for maintaining of academic standards in State Universities.